On 22 June, five translators had the opportunity to participate in an introductory training session on medical translation at Technicis’ Paris offices. Organising these training sessions is part of the quality strategy of Europe’s leading translation group.
Many translators wish to continue to gain skills and knowledge so as to widen the range of projects open to them. Training yourself in a new field means increasing your chances of receiving interesting projects and expanding your clientele.
Technicis has decided to be proactive by offering training in medical translation to its network of translators. The goal is to allow translators to sharpen their skills or begin specialising in a new field.
Marie-Alice Rebours, an English-French translator since 2009 and an assistant professor at Université Lumière Lyon 2, conducted this first training session via videoconference.
The six-hour session proceeded in several steps:
- A test of basic medical terminology and spellings, to get everyone's feet wet.
- An introduction to clinical trials: what the specific terminology is, how to structure a synopsis, presentation of documents.
- An in-depth look at oncological clinical trials and the associated terminology, including a presentation on RECIST (“New Response Evaluation Criteria In Solid Tumours”) criteria.
- A presentation on the SPC (Summary of Product Characteristics), its structure and its online documentation, which is an important terminological resource for medical translation.
- The Dos/Don’ts of medical translation, the preferred expressions and terms.
In addition to medical translation, the training session also allowed the translators to meet several Key Account Managers, whom they correspond with regularly by email. They were able to ask questions and discuss their respective issues over a pre-training breakfast.
More partner translators will be able to participate in future training sessions, either at Technicis office locations or via videoconference, if the content of the training session allows it.
If you would like to stay up-to-date about future Technicis Group events or if you have any suggestions, don't hesitate to contact us!